Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A Giving Of Thanks


I give thanks for peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwiches. I give thanks for seeing my breath on a cold, frosty morning. I give thanks for being able to cry when a sad song comes on the radio. I give thanks to hear the songs of the geese. I give thanks to the power of the Moon. And the warmth of the Sun.

I give thanks for all the emotional hurts and pains that forced me to grow. And friends who make me laugh uncontrollably. I give thanks for strong winds that blow the leaves off the trees and send a chill down my back. I give thanks to all the unknown people who harvest the crops, who deliver my mail, who keep the water and gas and electric coming, and the hundred other jobs that seem thankless and forgotten.

I give thanks to whiz down the aisle while hanging on the grocery cart. I give thanks for getting so into a song on the car radio that people in the next car honk, whistle, and clap for me. I give thanks for beauty for beauty’s sake. I give thanks for the place of my birth whose salty waves are the heartbeat of my soul. And my parents who love me unconditionally. I give thanks for Mom letting me lick cake batter off the spatula – raw eggs and all. I give thanks for the tall ships whose billowing sails fill my dreams. I give thanks for my foe, who makes me realize myself. I give thanks for the smell of popcorn and fresh-baked cinnamon rolls.

I give thanks to run after a fall leaf the perfect color of red. I give thanks for my Dad and his unshakeable strength. I give thanks to our Mother Earth and to our Creator without whom we could not be so blessed. And i give thanks for Love. Unconditional and Everlasting.


What do you give thanks for?









3 comments:

  1. Thanks for being such a good friend!

    Much love,

    Syd

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    -Syd

    So much for anonymity, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Yeah - that was reeeeeal sneaky! ;-) Thank you! Had a great day - weekend actually! Yah me!

    ReplyDelete