Monday, October 18, 2010

The Unsung Lime


(Check out the recipes at bottom!)



I have a real affection for limes. Maybe because i’m from Florida and dreaming of tasty slices of key lime pie has skewered my emotional bias. I’m talking real key limes – the tiny, tangy, extra-pucker-power variety that are actually from the Florida Keys. Florida is a citrus lover’s heaven. Driving down the state in spring, you’re engulfed in the blissful aroma of sweet orange blossoms. From which, of course, they make orange blossom honey. Sigh… But i digress…


The Lime. When i was really little, i used to think limes were just lemons that hadn’t grown up yet. I was a tad dubious about eating a fruit that was green. Everything i had experienced in my small world convinced me that all fruit started green and then grew up to another color. Red. Orange. Or yellow. Green was unripe and nasty tasting. I hadn’t met the Granny Smith apple yet either. Gosh – the naivety.

It wasn’t until i was in my early teens that i discovered the joys of Lime. That’s when my parents took me to the Florida Keys and i tasted my first real, key lime pie. Oh heaven! I thought i had discovered a new world! From that moment on, the lime has wriggled its way into the “limelight” (lol – i just crack myself up) of many, many meals. I’m always dreaming of new ways to include it in a recipe or add it as a topping. The lemon may be better known and more frequently used, but the lime has its quirky following too. I mean, come on. Lemon Tree by Peter, Paul, and Mary is a snooze next to The Lime in the Coconut by Harry Nilsson. “Put the lime in the coconut and drink them both together, put the lime in the coconut and then you feel better…Whoo, whoo…”

A NOTE ON MY RECIPES: I tend to cook by the “Old Grandma Method,” a bit of this and a pinch of that. I never actually measure anything out and cook by taste and an adventurous spirit!



Lime Corn-On-The-Cob
This simply delicious recipe was given to me by a good friend. Try it!

What You Need:
As many ears of fresh-picked white or yellow corn as you can eat!
Several limes
Sprinkling of cayenne pepper (optional)


This is easy – instead of slathering on a heavy blob of butter, squeeze a fresh cut lime all over the cooked corn making sure to drizzle the juice all around. Sprinkle a tiny bit of cayenne pepper all over. Voila!





Asparagus and Lime
I came up with this several years ago and it’s one of my all-time favs when i’m craving something green and tasty. It’s a rather strange combination, but it works.


What You Need:
One bunch fresh asparagus cleaned and trimmed
1 – 2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large clove minced garlic
¼ tsp dill weed
2 large limes
1 – 2 Tbsp soy sauce

Another easy and tasty dish. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil, garlic, dill, and asparagus. Stir frequently until garlic and asparagus begin to get tender. Squeeze lime juice over asparagus as it cooks. I like my asparagus to be a bit crunchy and not completely tender. Cook it as you like, but 1 minute before it’s done, sprinkle on the soy sauce. Be careful not to let it stick or burn. Remove and eat immediately.


NOTE: Use the lime and soy to your own taste. I use quite a bit of lime and not so much soy. Don’t be afraid to experiment!






No comments:

Post a Comment